Re: mkfs.ext2 triggerd RAM corruption

Theodore Tso wrote:

> On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 04:59:51PM +0200, Bernd Schubert wrote:
>>
>> I'm presently rather puzzled, if this is really a kernel bug, its a
>> big
>> bug.

>> mkfs.ext2 on a local sata disk partition.
>
> What distribution are you using?  What's the hardware configuration,

distribution: modified debian sarge, in which aspect is the distribution
important for this problem? mkfs2.ext2 is supposed to write to /dev/sdaX
and not /dev/rd/0. Stracing it and grepping for open calls shows that
only /dev/sdaX is opened in read-write mode.

hardware:
beo-05 and beo-06: cpu: xeon, acpi shows S3000PTH board, memory 2GB
(board too new for EDAC), piix sata controller

beo-106: Dual Core AMD Opteron, no idea what kind of board, 4GB memory
(k8_edac monitored), nforce sata controller

beo-01: Presently can't connect to it, afaik another intel system

(all system are running in x86_64 mode)

> including amount of memory?  What is the partition table look
> like for /dev/sda?  What filesystems are mounted?  If you have any

I already tested several partition types, e.g. something like this for a
test on sda3

beo-05:~# sfdisk -d /dev/sda
# partition table of /dev/sda
unit: sectors

/dev/sda1 : start=       63, size=  4208967, Id=83
/dev/sda2 : start=  4209030, size=  4209030, Id=83
/dev/sda3 : start=  8418060, size=313251435, Id=83
/dev/sda4 : start=        0, size=        0, Id= 0

For the tests nothing was mounted.

> soft RAID partitions, are any of them using part of /dev/sda?  What

No raid during the tests on sda, of course.
When sdaX was part of a raid testing the raid device, the corruption did
NOT happen.

> swap partitions are you using?  And do any of the swap partitions

Swap already entirely disabled.

> overlap with /dev/sda?  :-)

Suspected this first too, but the tested partition was never used as
swap partition (first always tested on sda4 and sda2 was used for swap),
later I entirely disabled the swap.

Thanks,
Bernd

PS: I took me about 10 hours of testing, before I wrote the first mail.
Took me that time to believe that its really a kernel bug.