Re: 2.6.22 -mm merge plans

* Christoph Hellwig ([email protected]) wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 07:11:04PM -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > My statement was probably not clear enough. The actual marker code is
> > useful as-is without any further kernel patching required : SystemTAP is
> > an example where they use external modules to load probes that can
> > connect either to markers or through kprobes. LTTng, in its current state,
> > has a mostly modular core that also uses the markers.
>
> That just mean you have to load an enormous emount of exernal crap
> that replaces the missing kernel functionality.  It's exactly the
> situation we want to avoid.

It makes sense to use -mm to hold the hole usable infrastructure before
submitting it to mainline. I will submit my core LTTng patches to Andrew
in the following weeks.  There is no hurry, in the LTTng perspective, to
merge the markers sooner, although they could be useful to other
(external) projects meanwhile.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers