Re: [BUG] 2.6.21: Kernel won't boot with either/both of CONFIG_NO_HZ, CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 18:29 -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
> Oh crap.  It's back.
>
> I don't know what's different from before,
> but the system now locks up again exactly the same way,
> even with the lock contention fix applied.

Which is less surprising and confusing than the previous result. It
points to some subtle race condition somewhere, which got affected by
the slightly timing change.

> With or without CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING=y in the config.

Ok.

> I've gotta get some work done here (this is my primary development machine),
> so it's back to CONFIG_DETECT_SOFTLOCKUP=y for a while.
>
> If anyone has a patch to dump out state/whatever just before that
> last message that preceeds all lockups, then pass it along and
> I'll queue it up for testing as soon as I can.

I try to come up with something, but I'm travelling tomorrow, so it
might be not before end of week.

	tglx