Re: [Kernel-discuss] Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/4] SoC base drivers

ian wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 20:29 +0400, Dmitry Krivoschekov wrote:
>> If you used ASIC acronym it would be more appropriate and not so
>> ambiguous.
>
> Actually, thats not bad. I'd be ok with that is SoC isnt used.

I'm ok with that too, i.e. very rough definition is:
SoC (system-on-chip) is  a platform level chip which incorporates processor
devices (CPU, cache, coprocessors, memory controller etc.), system devices
(timers, interrupt controllers etc.) and peripheral devices
(UARTs, LCD controllers, USB controllers etc),
while ASIC (Application-specific integrated circuit) is also a platform
level
chip which incorporates peripheral and system devices but does not include
processor devices.  ASICs are designed to expand processor functionality,
it could supplement a normal processor (non-SoC) and also could supplement
a SoC processor.

ASIC-related code (I mean core) forms additional platform layer, so I
suggest
adding ASIC helpers to generic platform code i.e. drivers/platform.c, but
ASIC drivers to drivers/asic/ directory.

Regards,
Dmitry