Re: Linux 2.6.21

On Monday, 30 April 2007 08:30, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 00:09:06 +0200 "Rafael J. Wysocki" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Last time I did this, bugzilla at osdl.org won't let me add original
> > > reporter to goddamn CC list. It would be el neat, because not everyone
> > > followed instructions and forwarding emails between reporter and
> > > bugzilla sucks.
> >
> > That's related to what I said before.  The requirement that the addresses on
> > the CC list must be 'known' to bugzilla is deadly wrong in every case I can
> > imagine.
>
> But unknown-to-bugzilla email addresses are accepted when they're sent to
> [email protected].  This is why I'll very often switch a
> bug report to email, copying individuals and mailing lists and
> bugme-daemon.  Then bugzilla just sits silently in the background recording
> everything.

If I wanted to do this, what would I have to do?  I mean, assume I have a bug
report that I want to send to someone whom the bugzilla doesn't like.
What's the right procedure in such a case?

> But once a bug has switched to email, it needs to stay there - it would be
> bad if someone were to update the bug via the web UI because none of the
> emailed participants would know of the update.  So i'll often explicitly
> ask "please follow up via emailed reply-to-all".
>
> It's not great, but there's certainly enough material here for people to get
> in and work on the bug, should they be so inclined.
>
> My overall approach with this stuff is: short-term bugs are handled via email
> and long-term ones are tracked in buzilla.

I think that's reasonable, I've always done it this way, AFAIR.

> Hence someone (Hi, Mom) needs to track all the emailed-only bug reports and get
> them filed in bugzilla once they go stale.

I can do that with suspend/hibernation-related bug reports, but sometimes
I'm not sure who is the right person to notify in the first place.