Re: 2.6.21-ext4-1

Theodore Ts'o wrote:
I've respun the ext4 development patchset, with Amit's updated fallocate
patches.  I've added Dave's patch to add ia64 support to the fallocate
system call, but *not* the XFS fallocate support patches.  (Probably
better for them to live in an xfs tree, where they can more easily
tested and updated.)  Yes, we haven't reached complete closure on the
fallocate system call calling convention, but it's enough for us to get
more testing in -mm.

Also added Johann's jbd2-stats-through-procfs patches; it provides
useful help in turning the size of the journal, which will be useful in
benchmarking efforts.  In addition, Alex Tomas's patch to free
just-allocated patches when there is an error inserting the extent into
the extent tree has also been included.

The patches have been compile-tested on x86, and compile/run-tested on
x86/UML.  Would appreciate reports about testing on other platforms.

Why isn't this stuff going upstream rapidly?

AFAICT nothing much at all has happened upstream besides a mass renaming?

The whole point of having ext4 in the kernel is to do development upstream, in the public view, getting new stuff in ASAP (even if that means changing or pulling some stuff later).

As it stands now, ext4 in the upstream tree is completely useless -- it's the same as ext3, and has been for months (since Oct 11).

Hello?  Upstream development?  Ever heard of it?

	Jeff