Re: 2.6.21-rc7-mm2 crash: Eeek! page_mapcount(page) went negative! (-1)

>> With kernel 2.6.21-rc7-mm2, my Dell Optiplex GX110 (P3/933) regularly
>> crashes during the SuSE 10.1 startup sequence. When booting to RL5,
>> it panicblinks shortly after the graphical login screen appears.
>> Booting to RL3, it hangs after the startup message:

I have now bisected this down to the section in the series file between
#GREGKH-DRIVER-START and #GREGKH-DRIVER-END, and therefore added GregKH
to the CC list. I'll try bisecting further inside that section (unless
you tell me not to), but it may take some time.

The exact point during the startup sequence when the crash occurred and
the amount of BUG messages produced varied somewhat during these tests.
The common denominator, and my criterion for the good/bad decisions
during the bisect, was the crash (panic blink) just before completion
of the system startup.
Sometimes there weren't any BUG messages in the log (or perhaps they
just didn't make it to the disk.) Sometimes I just had a couple of the
"sleeping function called from invalid context at mm/slab.c:3054"
ones but no "Eeek! page_mapcount(page) went negative!" one before them.
However, whenever the "Eeek!" did appear it announced "getcfg-interfac"
as the current process and was followed by a few of the "mm/slab.c:3054"
ones.

HTH
Tilman

--