Re: Linux 2.6.21

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 03:33:39PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >
> > We are already quite good at ignoring bug reports that come through
> > linux-kernel, and it's an _advantage_ of the kernel Bugzilla to see more
> > than 1600 open bugs because this tells how bad we are at handling bugs.
>
> No, it just shows that bugzilla doesn't matter for most of the kernel.
>
> Don't say that "bugzilla tells how bad we are at handling bugs". It tells
> how bad *bugzilla* is for handling bugs, nothing more.
>
> Trying to play politics by pointing to bugzilla is pointless. Bugzilla is
> used for a few subsystems (ACPI seems to use it actively, for example),
> but I doubt most developers use it.
>
> Would be be good to have a better bug-tracking setup? Yes. But I think it
> takes man-power, and it would take something *fundamentally* better than
> bugzilla.

Bugzilla has an email interface.
Andrew forwards bugs from Bugzilla to developers.

There might be small room for improvements, but I don't see how
man-power or technology could make a big difference in this area.

> Maybe the new "http://kernelnewbies.org/known_regressions"; thing will
> evolve to something worth tracking. Right now, bugzilla isn't it (although
> it can be a useful tracking place for individual bugs, *once* you've found
> and gotten the right developer involved - but that's a huge step that
> bugzilla generally does *not* do for us).

"*once* you've found and gotten the right developer involved" is the
real problem, not how to track bugs.

And not only a developer active in this area, more important a
developer who knows the subsystem/driver involved *and is willing
to work on bug reports*.

*This* is *the* problem.
And no change in bug tracking will help with this problem.

> 			Linus

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.