Re: Linux 2.6.21

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> We are already quite good at ignoring bug reports that come through
> linux-kernel, and it's an _advantage_ of the kernel Bugzilla to see more
> than 1600 open bugs because this tells how bad we are at handling bugs.

No, it just shows that bugzilla doesn't matter for most of the kernel.

Don't say that "bugzilla tells how bad we are at handling bugs". It tells
how bad *bugzilla* is for handling bugs, nothing more.

Trying to play politics by pointing to bugzilla is pointless. Bugzilla is
used for a few subsystems (ACPI seems to use it actively, for example),
but I doubt most developers use it.

Would be be good to have a better bug-tracking setup? Yes. But I think it
takes man-power, and it would take something *fundamentally* better than
bugzilla.

Maybe the new "http://kernelnewbies.org/known_regressions"; thing will
evolve to something worth tracking. Right now, bugzilla isn't it (although
it can be a useful tracking place for individual bugs, *once* you've found
and gotten the right developer involved - but that's a huge step that
bugzilla generally does *not* do for us).

			Linus