Re: MODULE_MAINTAINER

On 04/26/2007 10:24 PM, Adrian Bunk wrote:

The problem with such a database would be the same as with the MAINTAINERS file: The information becomes outdated, and someone has to maintain it.

Sending a patch against MAINTAINERS is easy - I don't see a WWW-browseable database being in any respect better than the MAINTAINERS
file.

Well, in fact, the database could _be_ (a parsed version of) the current MAINTAINERS file; it's already in a strict, parseable format. I know that MAINTAINERS itself is not very good at staying up to date, but making more intensive use of it like that might in fact improve that...

Being able to have "modinfo module" then point at a specific link would require a bit more though. It could be agreed upon to, say, have a module that the kernel installs as

	/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/cdrom/mitsumi.ko

have a maintainer page at

	http://www.kernel.org/maintainer/driver/cdrom/mitsumi.html

but to generate that page, the maintainer file would then need to grow a way to associate the "MITSUMI CDROM DRIVER" entry (don't bother, it's not there) in the MAINTAINERS file with that page (and simply listing that install path in the entry isn't good -- I believe you would wan't to pin down a structure like that).

Anyways -- might all also be a bit of overkill anyway. If I can get those email adresses from MODULE_AUTHOR out of the way, I'm mostly happy.

Rene.