Re: MODULE_MAINTAINER

Adrian Bunk <[email protected]> writes:

> I don't think we want to expose maintainership information to users at
> all:
> - duplicates information in MAINTAINERS
> - maintainers sometimes disappear
> - the 3 year old kernel of your distribution would contain 3 year old
>   maintainership information

Right. Summary: adding maintainer info to source code and/or
compiled modules doesn't seem to make any sense.

> IMHO the default should be that users report problems with distribution
> kernels to their distribution and problems with ftp.kernel.org kernels
> to either linux-kernel or the kernel Bugzilla.

Yep. But it's really easy to miss something in lkml and/or in
more specific lists, and the Bugzilla isn't email. That means
we need a WWW-browseable database, with:
a) maintainers registrations with a simple email verification or
   something like that
b) possibility for registered people to declare they now maintain
   (or not) specific portions of the kernel
c) possibility for anyone to retrieve this information.

Other options?
--
Krzysztof Halasa