Re: suspend2 merge (was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: CFS and suspend2: hang in atomic copy)

On Wednesday, 25 April 2007 22:08, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > Is there really no use case for STD?

[--snip--]
> > So my objections to STD have nothing to do with saving state and shutting
> > down. They have everything to do with the fact that it is not - and will
> > never be - a "suspend", and it shouldn't affect suspend.
>
> STD needs to snapshot system, and then it needs devices to be
> suspended so that snapshot is consistent.

Not suspended.  _Frozen_.  In fact don't want any DMA transfers or interrupts
to take place when we're creating the image.  That's all and that's what we're
doing (or rather, trying to do).

So, the "suspend" and "resume" for the functions being called for that are
wrong, but then we call them with PMSG_FREEZE. ;-)  Still, we could add
.freeze() and .thaw() callbacks for hibernation just fine.  This wouldn't even
be that difficult ...

Greetings,
Rafael