Re: Question about Reiser4

William Heimbigner wrote:
Eric Hopper wrote:
 I know that this whole effort has been put in disarray by the
prosecution of Hans Reiser, but I'm curious as to its status.

It was in disarray well before.  Many of the reiser4 features,
like filesystem plugins, make more technical sense in the Linux
VFS, but made more business sense for Namesys as a reiserfs 4
thing.  That lead to a stalemate.

Shouldn't it be a matter of stability though?

A lot of other things matter.  Things like a willingness to
maintain the code after it gets merged, or at least turning
the code into something the community is willing to maintain
if the original developers stop maintaining it.

Benchmarks suggest that reiser4 is a good file system; reiser4 is the successor to the already-accepted reiserfs; we've got experimental ext4 support but no reiser4 support, etc.

Namesys kind of abandoned reiserfs after work on reiser4
started.  Taking in a new code base on such a track record
is not a good idea when the code is not in a shape where
the community wants to maintain it.

I don't see why something like plugins should matter. If it works enough to be marked as experimental, why shouldn't reiser4 support be included? It's a pain for me personally to have to patch any kernel with reiser4 support so I can use the reiser4 fs.

You basically have three options:

1) keep patching every time you upgrade the kernel

2) use another filesystem

3) become the new reiser4 maintainer and turn the code
   into something that Linus is willing to accept

--
Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
the best in the world, and those who believe it already is.  Each group