Re: GPL-incompatible Module Error Message

On 4/19/07, Chris Bergeron <[email protected]> wrote:
It just seemed like it might be interesting and I couldn't find anything
to shed light on the error itself in the mailing list logs, and I'm
curious at what's happening.

What's happening is that some kernel developers don't like Linus's
stance on binary-only drivers and are trying to circumvent the norms
of software copyright law using EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL.  (Why some people
think that the GPL is magically exempt from Lotus v. Borland, Lexmark
v. Static Control, and their analogues in other jurisdiction is beyond
me -- but then I gave up smoking the FSF's parallel-legal-universe
herb some time ago.)

Just s/EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL/EXPORT_SYMBOL/ throughout the kernel and
you'll be fine -- at a technical level.  But be prepared, when later
changes break extra-volatile quasi-private in-kernel APIs, to keep
both pieces -- and to be shunned by EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL partisans.

Cheers (IANAL, TINLA),
- Michael