Re: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair Scheduler [CFS]

Ingo Molnar wrote:
> [announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair Scheduler [CFS]
>
> i'm pleased to announce the first release of the "Modular Scheduler Core
> and Completely Fair Scheduler [CFS]" patchset:
>
>    http://redhat.com/~mingo/cfs-scheduler/sched-modular+cfs.patch
>
> This project is a complete rewrite of the Linux task scheduler. My goal
> is to address various feature requests and to fix deficiencies in the
> vanilla scheduler that were suggested/found in the past few years, both
> for desktop scheduling and for server scheduling workloads.
>
> [ QuickStart: apply the patch to v2.6.21-rc6, recompile, reboot. The
>   new scheduler will be active by default and all tasks will default
>   to the new SCHED_FAIR interactive scheduling class. ]
>
> Highlights are:
>
>  - the introduction of Scheduling Classes: an extensible hierarchy of
>    scheduler modules. These modules encapsulate scheduling policy
>    details and are handled by the scheduler core without the core
>    code assuming about them too much.
>
>  - sched_fair.c implements the 'CFS desktop scheduler': it is a
>    replacement for the vanilla scheduler's SCHED_OTHER interactivity
>    code.
>
>    i'd like to give credit to Con Kolivas for the general approach here:
>    he has proven via RSDL/SD that 'fair scheduling' is possible and that
>    it results in better desktop scheduling. Kudos Con!
>
>    The CFS patch uses a completely different approach and implementation
>    from RSDL/SD. My goal was to make CFS's interactivity quality exceed
>    that of RSDL/SD, which is a high standard to meet :-) Testing
>    feedback is welcome to decide this one way or another. [ and, in any
>    case, all of SD's logic could be added via a kernel/sched_sd.c module
>    as well, if Con is interested in such an approach. ]
>
>    CFS's design is quite radical: it does not use runqueues, it uses a
>    time-ordered rbtree to build a 'timeline' of future task execution,
>    and thus has no 'array switch' artifacts (by which both the vanilla
>    scheduler and RSDL/SD are affected).
>
>    CFS uses nanosecond granularity accounting and does not rely on any
>    jiffies or other HZ detail. Thus the CFS scheduler has no notion of
>    'timeslices' and has no heuristics whatsoever. There is only one
>    central tunable:
>
>          /proc/sys/kernel/sched_granularity_ns
>
>    which can be used to tune the scheduler from 'desktop' (low
>    latencies) to 'server' (good batching) workloads. It defaults to a
>    setting suitable for desktop workloads. SCHED_BATCH is handled by the
>    CFS scheduler module too.
>
>    due to its design, the CFS scheduler is not prone to any of the
>    'attacks' that exist today against the heuristics of the stock
>    scheduler: fiftyp.c, thud.c, chew.c, ring-test.c, massive_intr.c all
>    work fine and do not impact interactivity and produce the expected
>    behavior.
>
>    the CFS scheduler has a much stronger handling of nice levels and
>    SCHED_BATCH: both types of workloads should be isolated much more
> [...]

Pushed this through the test.kernel.org and nothing new blew up.
Notably the kernbench figures are within expectations even on the bigger
numa systems, commonly badly affected by balancing problems in the
schedular.

I see there is a second one out, I'll push that one through too.

-apw