Re: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair Scheduler [CFS]

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 07:54:33PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Eric W. Biederman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > Thinking about it, I don't know if there are calls to schedule()
> > > while switching from tty1 to tty2. Alt-F2 had no effect anymore, and
> > > "chvt 2" simply blocked. It would have been possible that a
> > > schedule() call somewhere got starved due to the load, I don't know.
> >
> > It looks like there is a call to schedule_work.
>
> so this goes over keventd, right?
>
> > There are two pieces of the path. If you are switching in and out of a
> > tty controlled by something like X.  User space has to grant
> > permission before the operation happens.  Where there isn't a gate
> > keeper I know it is cheaper but I don't know by how much, I suspect
> > there is still a schedule happening in there.
>
> Could keventd perhaps be starved? Willy, to exclude this possibility,
> could you perhaps chrt keventd to RT priority? If events/0 is PID 5 then
> the command to set it to SCHED_FIFO:50 would be:
>
>   chrt -f -p 50 5
>
> but ... events/0 is reniced to -5 by default, so it should definitely
> not be starved.

Well, since I merged the fair-fork patch, I cannot reproduce (in fact,
bash forks 1000 processes, then progressively execs scheddos, but it
takes some time). So I'm rebuilding right now. But I think that Linus
has an interesting clue about GPM and notification before switching
the terminal. I think it was enabled in console mode. I don't know
how that translates to frozen xterms, but let's attack the problems
one at a time.

Willy