Re: Loud "pop" coming from hard drive on reboot

Chuck Ebbert wrote:
When I reboot my notebook, it powers off and powers back on.
On poweroff a loud snapping noise seems to be coming from the
hard drive. Today I noticed there is no "shutdown: hda" on
the console when I reboot. Whne I do a normal poweroff the
message is displayed and there is no noise. Should the IDE
code be changed so it always shuts down the drive?

The question is why the laptop powers off and back on. Do reboots from Windows do that? That is why the drive makes so much noise, because the kernel didn't standby the drive before rebooting, since it shouldn't have to, and yet the drive loses power so it does an emergency retract.

Making the kernel shutdown on reboot would only add more spindown/up cycles for normally working systems.

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]