Re: Use of SIGXFSZ outside of soft limits

Alan Cox wrote:
[XSI] [Option Start] If the request would cause the file size to exceed the soft file size limit for the process and there is no room for any bytes to be written, the request shall fail and the implementation shall generate the SIGXFSZ signal for the thread. [Option End]

This all depends which document and version you review. AIX for example
has or had the same behaviour as Linux which comes from the Large File
Summit and indeed our implementation was carefully tested to pass the
test suite of the time.

SUSv3 seems to subsume the older LFS standards, and has adjusted them
somewhat in the merging so there may well be a good case for normalizing
our behaviour to match SUSv3. Run some tests and send patches.

Alan

Thanks very much for this response, Alan.

I kind of suspected it might be something like this. I'm relieved to know that the original reasons for signaling that on other cases may no longer apply.

I'll plan to be back with patches, then! :)

-Micah