Re: [GIT PULL -mm] Unionfs branch management code

Andrew Morton wrote:
On Mon,  9 Apr 2007 10:53:51 -0400 "Josef 'Jeff' Sipek" <[email protected]> wrote:

The following patches introduce new branch-management code into Unionfs as
well as fix a number of stability issues and resource leaks.

I have a mental note that unionfs is in the "stuck" state, due to general
agreement that we should implement this functionality at the VFS level, one
reason for which is unionfs's upper-vs-lower coherency problems.

How can a union file system with a decent set of useful semantics be fully implemented at the VFS layer in a "clean" manner?

For instance, a major use of unionfs is live CDs, namely unionfs w/ a read-only and read-write layer. Unionfs enables files to be copied up from the read-only layer to the read-write layer.

Does one really want to implement "copyup" in the VFS?

just my 2 agarot.