Re: If not readdir() then what?

Ulrich Drepper wrote:
On 4/10/07, Theodore Tso <[email protected]> wrote:
That might work.  But if in the long term we want to separate out what
we can send back via telldir/seekdir, and some future new Posix
interface, [...]

With all these discussions about fixes for telldir, do we want to
persue an alternative interface where the user can explicitly specify
that no telldir/seekdir will ever be used?  From what I know so far it
would make technical sense since we could speed up/reduce the memory
footprint of readdir in 99% of most programs.  But is the benefit
large enough to warrant a second interface?

The real problem sounds like NFS is, in effect, doing telldir/seekdir on every directory reference.

It rather makes any user space accesses irrelevant. The main question seems to be if we can realistically increase the cookie size even to 64 bits.

	-hpa