Re: If not readdir() then what?

Theodore Tso wrote:
It doesn't state explicitly that you can use the telldir cookie()
after closing the directory stream using closedir() and then reopening
it using opendir(), but given that it states that results are
undefined after a rewinddir() --- which is much less violent than a
closedir()/opendir(), I would definitely argue that an application
programmer would be very ill-advised to rely on this working.

(Of course, I'd argue that an application programmer shouldn't use
telldir/seekdir at all.....)

Ulrich, is it too late to insert a clarification that the telldir()
cookie isn't guaranteed to be valid after closedir() *or* rewinddir()?

More fundamentally, the telldir cookie should never be valid when applied to a different DIR * (even one that refers to the same directory.)

	-hpa