Re: If not readdir() then what?

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 04:36:33PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
this functionality, and it is highly questionable how useful it is,
anyway.  If you use telldir/seekdir and keep the cookie for a long
time, even the POSIX-provided guarantees about files that are created
and deleted between the telldir() and seekdir() points in time makes
its utility highly dubious.

It's not going to solve anything at all.  We can't stop supporting
functionality that has been there forever.

Well, the question is if you can keep the seekdir/telldir cookie around as a pointer -- preferrably in userspace, of course. You would presumably garbage-collect them on closedir() -- there is no other point at which you could.

I personally suspect that hch is right -- this stuff has been there since time immemorial and it'll be hard or impossible to deprecate it.

	-hpa