Re: [2.6 patch] kconfig: remove the unused "requires" syntax

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 06:53:22PM +0100, Roman Zippel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 11:41:59AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >
> > >   Remove the note in the documentation that suggests people can use
> > > "requires" for dependencies in Kconfig files.
> >
> > Considering that noone uses it, what about the patch below to also
> > remove the implementation?
>
> Mostly to keep the noise in the generated files low I prefer to just add
> some warning prints and I'll remove them later with some other syntax
> changes. This would also give external trees the chance to fix any
> possible usage first.

How to add some warning prints?

And what's the problem with changing the generated files?
There doesn't seem to be much activity in this area, and the noise of
changing the generated files doesn't seem to be a problem for me (except
if anyone else is semnding patches for the same area at the same time.
It's not as if this noise was big compared to the diff between two Linux
releases...

Regarding external trees:
Do you know about anyone actually using it?
The fact that we have zero usages in the kernel and that it doesn't have
any additional functionality seems to be a strong hint noone knows about
it. And if anyone really uses it, the fix is so trivial...

> bye, Roman

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.