Re: System / libata IDE controller woes (long)

Hello,

Erik Ohrnberger wrote:
> Earlier this year, when I started putting it together, I gathered my
> hardware.  A decent 2 GHz Athlon system with 512 MB RAM, DVD drive, a 40 GB
> system drive, and a 500 Watt power supply.  Then I started adding hard
> disks.  To date, I've got 5 80 GB PATA, 2 200 GB PATA, and 1 60 GB PATA.

That's 9 hard drives.  How did you hook up your power supply?  My
dual-rail 450w PS has a lot of problem driving 9 drives no matter how I
hook it up while my 350w power supply can happily handle the load.  I
suspect it's because how the separate 12v rails are configured in the PS.

It's nothing concrete but I wanna rule PS issue first.  If you've got an
extra power supply (buy cheap 350w one if you don't have one), hook half
of the drives to it and see what happens.  Using PS without motherboard
is easy.  Just ask google.

Happy holidays.

--
tejun