Re: [patch 2.6.20-rc1 4/6] PXA GPIO wrappers

Guys:

Probably? What I am wondering is this: can the compiler
optimize away the range check that is duplicated in GPSR/GPCR
and  GPIO_bit for __gpio_set/get_value? Or could we optimize
this case by expanding the macros in place (which would mean
duplicating code from pxa-regs.h)...

Who cares?  :)

I don't think there's much point in optimizing here, since these functions won't be hot paths anyway. Yes, they'll be called in interrupt handlers and so we don't want them to be _too_ heavy, but compared to the overhead of an interrupt handler, a few extra instructions in the GPIO access will get lost in the noise.

Inlines generally seem to be more maintainable, give you a symbol that you can disassemble and breakpoint, etc. I'll take them over the macro implementations any day, in this case even if there's a cost of a few instructions.

All IMHO, of course.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff