Re: Binary Drivers

Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 09:20:58PM +0000, James Porter wrote:
For what it's worth, I don't see any problem with binary drivers from hardware
manufacturers.

Binary drivers from hardware manufacturers are crap. Learn it by heart.

That's your personal opinion! A lot other people (including me) have had excellent experience with binary drivers!

Just because nvidia makes a closed source driver doesn't mean that we can't also
create an open source driver(limited functionality, reverse engineered,
etc.,etc.).

We can.

The day you show me that the open-source driver is faster and more stable then the binary driver, I'll switch. But until then I'll stay with my binary driver. I haven't had any serious problems with it, in fact, I'm very happy, so why should I want to switch?

I don't see Linux in such a political way like some of you do, for me Linux is just like any other OS. There are good drivers and bad drivers. And I don't care if they are open source or binary, I don't judge them based on that, but based on how well they work and how good the support is.

But users of binary drivers should be blocked from sending bug reports
to kernel developers.

Most end-users will never get directly in touch with the kernel developers. They'll first go to their distribution. Most Ubuntu users don't even know what a kernel is (not that I use Ubuntu, but it's a distribution that is widespread among the less experienced end-users and people who switch to Linux from the windows world).

tom