Re: ReiserFS corruption with 2.6.19 (Was 2.6.19 is not stable with SATA and should not be used by any meansis not stable with SATA and should not be used by any means)

Phillip Susi wrote:

Andrew Robinson wrote:

Now I am confused on what may be the cause of the corruption. Could it
have been just a ReiserFS problem (I will be using Ext3 or JSF on my
next rebuild I think after reading some reviews on the ReiserFS and
this recent experience).

I have been running reiser on my home machine and a server at work for a year now without incident. There were some bugs a few years back but it seems to be in good working order these days.

I'm not sure if it could be a SATA_NV driver problem, a hibernate
problem, or a ReiserFS problem or a combination of the above. For
hibernation, I had the resume2 kernel boot option set as /dev/sda1 (my
swap partition). I do not have suspend2 installed though, I have been
relying on its fallback settings to ususpend or sysfs (not sure which
one is actually executed).

Sounds like your hibernation corrupted the disk, but without more specifics, this is just educated guesswork.

No. I still see corruption on Suse with Reiser FS. It's always very subtle (like the last block of a file doesn;t get copied or gets corrupted. We have been running our ftp server on ReiserFS, and as soon as I can get it moved back to ext3, we are doing so. We have had a lot of issues with corrupted RPM files and builds on ReiserFS. If you can get the files copied to the FS ok, they seem to stay that way. moving a lot of data with recursive copies seems troublesome and some of the files
seem to get the ends clipped off of them.

Jeff