Re: libata and sata?

John Richard Moser wrote:

A while back my distro moved to libata for sata_via.  I was since
confused; my disk seemed a lot slower, and it looked like DMA was off.
I'm not sure how SATA works; is it even possible to enable/disable
32-bit IO and DMA?  Or are those just on?

sata_via               11524  4
libata                112660  3 ata_generic,pata_via,sata_via

~$ sudo hdparm -d1 -c1 -u1 /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
setting 32-bit IO_support flag to 1
HDIO_SET_32BIT failed: Invalid argument
setting unmaskirq to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_UNMASKINTR failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)

I no longer have two kernels to test through; I can't tell if the speed
is back or not.  Nothing in dmesg tells me if SATA is using DMA or
32-bit IO support though, so I don't know... lack of knowledge over here
is killing me for troubleshooting this on my own.

<snip>

Hi John,

This happened to me with my ICH7 intel chipset which supports sata and ata - my drive was an ide and the performance was like 1.2mb/sec. Someone said boot with combined_mode=libata and it fixed the problem.
Now I get 44mb/sec.

HTH,
Steve
--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)