Re: 2.6.19-git13: uts banner changes break SLES9 (at least)

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
I am afraid to report that this second version also fails for me, as you point
out CIFS can break us if defined.

Olaf, will you admit that the SLES9 code is crap now?

Andy, does just replacing the "__initdata" with "const" fix it for you? That should hopefully mean that IN PRACTICE the Linux version string will be the first one to be triggered, if only because init/main.c is linked reasonably early, and all the other "Linux version" strings will hopefully be in the same rodata section.

Yes that does make things 'work' again.  This all seems pretty fragile :(.

Sad, sad. We shouldn't need to work around tools that are so _obviously_ broken like this.

-apw