Re: 2.6.19-git13: uts banner changes break SLES9 (at least)

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> So I would suggest SLES now show that support by fixing THEIR BUG.

Btw, if you still want to use "get_kernel_version" or whatever the broken
program was, I'd suggest:

 - extend the check to verify that the version number that follows looks
   valid. It had better be something like a number with dots and perhaps a
   "v" in front of it or something.

 - extend the check to check that it has parenthesis and a date there
   somewhere too.

In other words, make the string grep really REALLY anal. Rather than grep
for something totally trivial like "Linux version " that is so common that
I could easily see it finding that particular string sequence in any
random binary, not just the Linux kernel (eg some internal thing that says
"tested with Linux version 2.6")

		Linus