Re: additional oom-killer tuneable worth submitting?

Alan wrote:

The "oom-thresh" value maps to the max expected memory consumption for that process. As long as a process uses less memory than the specified threshold, then it is immune to the oom-killer.

You've just introduced a deadlock. What happens if nobody is over that
predicted memory and the kernel uses more resource ?

Based on the discussion with Jesper, we fall back to regular behaviour. (Or possibly hang or reboot, if we added another switch).

On an embedded platform this allows the designer to engineer the system and protect critical apps based on their expected memory consumption. If one of those apps goes crazy and starts chewing additional memory then it becomes vulnerable to the oom killer while the other apps remain protected.

That is why we have no-overcommit support. Now there is an argument for
a meaningful rlimit-as to go with it, and together I think they do what
you really need.

No overcommit only protects the system as a whole, not any particular processes. The purpose of this is to protect specific daemons from being killed when the system as a whole is short on memory. Same rationale as for oomadj, but different knob to twiddle.

Chris