Re: additional oom-killer tuneable worth submitting?

On 07/12/06, Chris Friesen <[email protected]> wrote:
Jesper Juhl wrote:

> What happens in the case where the OOM killer really, really needs to
> kill one or more processes since there is not a single drop of memory
> available, but all processes are below their configured thresholds?

Then the system wasn't properly engineered.  <grin>

I had a feeling you'd say that.

In this case you reboot.

I realize that if this case happens the system is misconfigured as far
as oomthresh goes, but if this is a knob that we put in the mainline
kernel then I believe there should be some sort of emergency handling
code that takes this situation into account.  Perhaps throw some very
nasty looking log messages and then fall back to the classic OOM
killer behaviour..?

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html