Re: Allow turning off hpa-checking.

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 06:10:33PM +0000, Alan wrote:
> > What else (if not sector remapping) could make the "current"
> > size gradually smaller between reboots. And why is "native"
> > size still constant?  And why does now even access to the but-last
> > native sector fail? The explanation with block-reads no longer
> > works.
> The presented size of an ATA disk is constant. It keeps additional space
> for error blocks. The HPA merely tells the disk to lie about its size.

I was speaking about a disk, whose "additional space" appeared to
be already exhausted.  After that, it appears as if the native
size remains still constant, and the exceeding damaged sectors are
auto-"hidden" by the drive by means of HPA.

Still incorrect?

Then I'm also speaking about not-broken disks, where I just want
to be able to tell the driver to believe the drive's "HPA-lie"
for whatever reason :-)

> > How should the partitioning tool know, if I want to ignore the
> > HPA, or respect it (knowing it contains stuff that I might need in
> > future).  Does there exist any that asks me?
> I have no idea. If not perhaps one should be written.
Till that happens ... ;-)