Re: Freeze with ATI Xpress 200

Hi Davor.

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 14:17 -0800, Davor Cubranic wrote:
> Just to follow up on my original report: This seems to be a problem
> with running AMD "Cool & Quiet" when using the on-board graphics. (Why
> would Shuttle design an AMD motherboard with a integrated graphics
> which crashes the system if C&Q is turned on? Good question. Shame on
> Shuttle.) I initially reported that Windows worked fine, but although
> I did have AMD CPU driver installed on Windows, C&Q wasn't turned on
> in the "power options" control settings. Once I did that, Windows
> started crashing with the same symptoms as well until I turned it off
> again. I then turned off powernowd in Ubuntu and haven't seen it crash
> since. I'm guessing I never saw this in Gentoo because it did not have
> powernowd activated by default.
>
> At any rate, this is not a kernel issue, sorry for the trouble.
>
> Davor
>
> P.S. I am not on this list, so please email me directly with any
> comments or questions.

Thanks for the email. I didn't notice the first one, but have been
having similar problems with my Turion based laptop that also has a 200M
chipset. I had previously assumed it was a buggy BIOS or something sort
of buffer overrun. I'll try disabling cpufreq support and see if I can
confirm your diagnosis.

Regards,

Nigel