Re: [take24 0/6] kevent: Generic event handling mechanism.

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 12:43:01AM -0800, Andrew Morton ([email protected]) wrote:

> > > This doesn't solve the problem.  You could only request new events when
> > > all previously reported events are processed.  Plus: how do you report
> > > events if the you don't allow get_event pass them on?
> >
> > Userspace should itself maintain order and possibility to get event in
> > this implementation, kernel just returns events which were requested.
>
> That would mean that in a multithreaded application (or multi-processes
> sharing the same MAP_SHARED ringbuffer), all threads/processes will be
> slowed down to wait for the slowest one.

Not at all - all other threads can call kevent_get_events() with theirs
own place in the ring buffer, so while one of them is processing an
entry, others can fill next entries.

> > > Right, but this limitation of the interface is important.  It means the
> > > interface of the kernel is smaller: fewer possibilities for problems and
> > > fewer constraints if in future something should be changed (and smaller
> > > kernel).
> >
> > Ok, lets see for ring buffer implementation right now, and then we will
> > decide if we want to remove or to stay with kevent_get_events() syscall.
>
> I agree that kevent_get_events() is duplicative and we shouldn't need it.
> Better to concentrate all our development effort on the single and most
> flexible means of delivery.

Let's wait for ring buffer imeplementation first :)

--
	Evgeniy Polyakov