Re: [take24 0/6] kevent: Generic event handling mechanism.

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:25:01 +0300
Evgeniy Polyakov <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >If thread calls kevent_wait() it means it has processed previous entries,
> > >one can call kevent_wait() with $num parameter as zero, which
> > >means that thread does not want any new events, so nothing will be
> > >copied.
> >
> > This doesn't solve the problem.  You could only request new events when
> > all previously reported events are processed.  Plus: how do you report
> > events if the you don't allow get_event pass them on?
>
> Userspace should itself maintain order and possibility to get event in
> this implementation, kernel just returns events which were requested.

That would mean that in a multithreaded application (or multi-processes
sharing the same MAP_SHARED ringbuffer), all threads/processes will be
slowed down to wait for the slowest one.

> > >They all already imeplemented. Just all above, and it was done several
> > >months ago already. No need to reinvent what is already there.
> > >Even if we will decide to remove kevent_get_events() in favour of ring
> > >buffer-only implementation, winting-for-event syscall will be
> > >essentially kevent_get_events() without pointer to the place where to
> > >put events.
> >
> > Right, but this limitation of the interface is important.  It means the
> > interface of the kernel is smaller: fewer possibilities for problems and
> > fewer constraints if in future something should be changed (and smaller
> > kernel).
>
> Ok, lets see for ring buffer implementation right now, and then we will
> decide if we want to remove or to stay with kevent_get_events() syscall.

I agree that kevent_get_events() is duplicative and we shouldn't need it.
Better to concentrate all our development effort on the single and most
flexible means of delivery.