Re: [patch 2/2] enables booting a NUMA system where some nodes have no memory

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Jack Steiner wrote:

> I doubt that there is a demand for systems with memoryless nodes. However, if the
> DIMM(s) on a node fails, I think the system may perform better
> with the cpus on the node enabled than it will if they have to be
> disabled.

Right now we do not have the capability to remove memory from a node while
the system is running.

If the DIMMs have failed and we boot up and the systems finds out that
there is no memory on that node then the cpus can be remapped to
the next memory node. That is better than having lots of useless
structures allocated.