Re: proposal: remove unused macros

On Monday 13 November 2006 13:13, Mariusz Kozlowski wrote:
>Hello,
>
>	Recently someone send a patch that fixed some old '#ifdef'ed code with
> syntax error (stray brackets). The broken code was there for a long
> time and nobody saw that. I digged some more and wrote a simple program
> that counted '(' and ')' in the kernel code that emits apropriate text
> if for a given file both numbers differ. That is probably dumb idea but
> it worked :-) Quite fast I found a dozen of broken macros with syntax
> errors etc. All of those macros are unused. I digged a bit deeper and
> used '-Wunused-macros' flag which with causes 8340 new warnings to be
> emited for 2.6.19-rc5-mm1 with 'allmodconfig'. For sure there are false
> positives (see gcc man page) but even if i.e. 50% of them are fp then
> we still have around 4k of unused macros scattered around the tree.
>
>To me this is a dead code. I can review the code causing these warnings
> and prepare patches 'per subsystem' or whatever to address this issue.
> That is if nobody opposes.

With regard to your parens checking code, I re-wrote from a broken
version, about 20 years ago, a utility to check all that.  I used it on
the coco/os9 systems at the time, then built it for the amiga, and
rebuilt it for linux a few years back.  It checks brackets, quotes in "
style and ' style and ;, etc stuff.  I called mine cntx, and I've used it
occasionally here, but haven't had the need/urge to test any kernel code
with it so far.

If anyone is interested, and the list will take attachments of that
nature, I'd be honored to share it.  What say you all?

--
Cheers, Gene