Re: [2.6 patch] the scheduled removal of the frame diverter

On Nov 13, 2006, at 16:04:25, Adrian Bunk wrote:
This patch contains the scheduled removal of the frame diverter.

[snip]

-config NET_DIVERT
-	bool "Frame Diverter (EXPERIMENTAL)"
-	depends on EXPERIMENTAL && BROKEN
-	  The Frame Diverter allows you to divert packets from the
-	  network, that are not aimed at the interface receiving it (in
-	  promisc. mode). Typically, a Linux box setup as an Ethernet bridge
-	  with the Frames Diverter on, can do some *really* transparent www
-	  caching using a Squid proxy for example.

From my understanding of iptables/ebtables, identical functionality is already avaialble within that framework; and as such this patch is just removing broken experimental and redundant code. The IPTables code also properly handles IPv6 and all the other old warts of the frame diverter as well. I agree that this should go.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett