Re: [patch/rfc 2.6.19-rc5] arch-neutral GPIO calls

Paul:

Paul Mundt wrote:

I'm not convinced that exposing the pin number to drivers is the way to
go. The pin numbers themselves are rarely portable across "similar" CPUs
with identical peripherals, while the pin function itself may be
portable (or simply unecessary). Pin muxing also needs to be handled in a
much more transparent and intelligent fashion, which is something else
that is fairly easy to do when looking at a symbolic name for the pin
function rather than the pin # itself.

I don't think he's exporting pin numbers per se. It's more like an enumeration that comes in from the platform data that the driver passes back to the GPIO (and, indirectly, the IRQ) API.

Any API also needs to allow for multiple GPIO controllers, as it's rarely
just the CPU that has these or needs to manipulate them.

True, but right now if the "multiple GPIO controllers" are on something like i2c/spi, they have the synch/asynch issues that Jamey mentioned and so are by definition out of scope for this proposal. If the GPIO lines are in an MMIO controller (PLD/FPGA, perhaps), then there's no reason that the board implementer couldn't address that in their implementation of the proposed functions.

... except that I bet David is thinking that the implementations will be in arch/arm/irq-at91rm9200.c or something, and not in asm/arm/board-xyz.c, so it's the arch implementer's responsibility and not the platform author's. Yea, I see your point now.

I say that we go with David's proposal for 2.6.19 anyway, and maybe by 2.6.20 we'll have a consensus on how to address that with some behind-the-API magic. :) (functions added to the machine descriptor, maybe?)

b.g. , who can't post to the lists at the moment because his ISP is having a sudden fit of outbound email filter mania.

--
Bill Gatliff
[email protected]