Re: [PATH] Replace kmalloc+memset with kzalloc 1/17

Burman Yan wrote:
OK.
Sorry.

I had to attach the patch, since hotmail does line wrapping, but I will note the part regarding
the more descriptive subject.

Hotmail is probably the _worse_ email client you could use to send patches to the kernel.

Also, some of the patches are one line per file, so I joined them together in one single patch. I thought that splitting that into many tiny patches will actually be more annoying than
a single bigger patch.

The logical separation you did isn't bad, but there is no mention on the *subject line* what section is targeted by your patch.

Also you should CC the maintainer for each section you're targeting. For instance, for the ACPI patch you should also CC Len Brown. Check the MAINTAINERS file for the right people to CC on each patch.

Does that mean I should send those patches again?

Afraid so.

While you're at it, you could remove casts like this one:

-	pathname = (char *)kmalloc(ACPI_PATHNAME_MAX, GFP_KERNEL);
+	pathname = (char *)kzalloc(ACPI_PATHNAME_MAX, GFP_KERNEL);
 	if (!pathname)
 		return -ENOMEM;
-	memset(pathname, 0, ACPI_PATHNAME_MAX);

That "(char *)" really isn't needed.

Oh, and just one more thing: don't top post.

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

"The face of a child can say it all, especially the
mouth part of the face."