Re: Strange write errors on FAT32 partition (maybe an FAT32 bug?!)

Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
Roger Heflin wrote:
Christoph,

Install then edac_mc module, and make sure  through the
sysctl command that pci parity checking is enabled.

I have seen pci parity errors produce this sort of results,
ie make 100 identical 50MB files, and cksum them and one
will be wrong, do it a again, and the "wrong" one is now
right, but someone else is "wrong".
Ah thx,... is it in the vanilla kernel?
And do you know of any possible results that this issue has? When I just
read data (see my original stuff with fat32) is it possible that this
had been modified or damaged?
Or are the only consequences that diff errors occur?

And what is responsible for that parity errors? Is it possible that any
hardware is damaged?

The failure can manifest itself in many ways, I have
only seen it as a read failure, but there should be no
reason why it cannot also show as a write failure.

It should be in the later vanilla kernels, it won't
be in the earlier ones,  I would do a
find /lib/modules -name "*edac*" -ls

It is a hw issue, either something is running faster that
it should be (pci bus set to fast for the given hardware/config)
or something is broken.

                         Roger