Re: [take23 0/5] kevent: Generic event handling mechanism.

Eric Dumazet a écrit :
Davide Libenzi a écrit :
Lost forever means? If there are more processes watching some fd (external events), they all get their own copy of the events in their own private epoll fd. It's not that we "steal" things out of the kernel, is not a 1:1 producer/consumer thing (one producer, 1 queue). It's one producer, broadcast to all listeners (consumers) thing. The only case where it'd matter is in the case of multiple threads sharing the same epoll fd.

In my particular epoll application, the producer is tcp stack, and I have one consumer. If an network event is lost in the EFAULT handling, its lost forever. In any case, my application do provide a correct user area, so this problem is only theorical.

I realize I was not explicit, and dit not answer your question (Lost forever means ?)

                if (epi->revents) {
                        if (__put_user(epi->revents,
                                       &events[eventcnt].events) ||
                            __put_user(epi->event.data,
                                       &events[eventcnt].data))
                                return -EFAULT;
>>                        if (epi->event.events & EPOLLONESHOT)
>>                                epi->event.events &= EP_PRIVATE_BITS;
                        eventcnt++;
                }

If one EPOLLONESHOT event is correctly copied to user space, its status is updated.

If other ready events in the same epoll_wait() call cannot be transferred because of an EFAULT (we reach the real end of user provided area), this EPOLLONESHOT event is lost forever, because it wont be requeued in ready list.

Eric