Re: General network driver suspend/resume (was e1000 carrier related)

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 13:10:50 -0800
Auke Kok <[email protected]> wrote:

> Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 13:04:07 +0100
> > Pavel Machek <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi!

> >> Well, maybe E1000 should behave as the other cards behave, and
> >> different solution needs to be found for power saving? ifconfig eth0
> >> suspend?
> >>
> >> 									Pavel
> >>

> > The standard which all network drivers should use is:
> >
> > module insertion:
> > 	start in initial powerdown state
> >
> > open:
> > 	power up, bring up link
> >
> > stop:
> > 	bring down link
> > 	return to powerdown state unless WOL is set.
> > 	if doing WOL go to lowest power sensing state
> >
> > suspend:
> > 	same as stop
> >
> > resume:
> > 	same as open
> >
> > module removal:
> > 	stop already called so device should be in power down state.
> >

> > Since suspend is basically same as stop, and resume is open
> > I am going to investigate doing suspend/resume in the network device layer
> > (unless subclassed by driver), so we can rip out the suspend/resume hook
> > from many network drivers. There will still be boards like sky2
> > that need own suspend/resume to deal with dual port etc.
>

> beware that e1000 needs to save pci msi config space on top of the normal pci config
> space. Perhaps this needs to be fixed upstream in pci_save_state for msi devices, but
> the api for msi is not capable of detecting this atm.

pci_config save needs to save more (including all the pci express stuff).
But until the mmconfig issues are fixed on x86_64 that will be impossible.
Maybe the last fix will solve the problem.

--
Stephen Hemminger <[email protected]>