Re: ipc/msg.c "cleanup" breaks fakeroot on Alpha

On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 05:02:39PM +0100, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> >[ Removed the kernel mailing list ]
> >

> [kernel mailing list added back]
>
> >As far as I can tell, people hold one or the other, but not both, and
> >happily do strange things to "r_msg". The code seems to _know_ that it is
> >racy, since in addition to the volatile, it does things like:

> >               msr->r_msg = NULL;
> >               wake_up_process(msr->r_tsk);
> >               smp_mb();
> >               msr->r_msg = ERR_PTR(res);
> >
> >and that memory barrier again doesn't really seem to make a whole lot of
> >sense.
> >
> msr is a msg_receiver structure. The structure is stored on the stack of
> msr->r_tsk.
> The smp_mb() guarantees that the wake_up_process is complete before
> ERR_PTR(res) is stored into msr->r_msg.

OK, so matching code in sys_msgrcv() spins on the r_tsk pointer
until it becomes non-NULL.  Can't say that I understand why the
first assignment to msr->r_msg cannot simply be ERR_PTR(res), but
I am probably missing something basic.  But your explanation below
clears that up, thank you!

I also don't understand why the code in sys_msgrcv() doesn't have
to remap the msqid, similar to the way it is done in sys_semtimedop().

Is there some reference counter that I am failing to see?  There is
the ipc_rcu_getref() on the send side, and something similar seems
like it would work on the read side -- though with additional cache
thrashing, so probably cheaper to remap the id.

So, what am I missing here?  How does a msgrcv() racing with an rmid()
avoid taking a lock on a message queue that just got freed?  (The
ipc_lock_by_ptr() in "Lockless receive, part 3".)  My concern is the
following sequence of steps:

o	expunge_all() invokes wake_up_process() and sets r_msg.

o	sys_msgrcv() is awakened, but for whatever reason does
	not actually start executing (e.g., lots of other busy
	processes at higher priority).

o	expunge_all() returns to freeque(), which runs through the
	rest of its processing, finally calling ipc_rcu_putref().

o	ipc_rcu_putref() invokes call_rcu() to free the message
	queue after a grace period.

o	ipc_immediate_free() is invoked at the end of a grace
	period, freeing the message queue.

o	sys_msgrcv() finally gets a chance to run, and does an
	rcu_read_lock() -- but too late!!!

o	sys_msgrcv() does ipc_lock_by_ptr() on a message-queue
	data structure that has already been freed.  Things
	degrade rapidly from here...

Or is there some subtlety that prevents this?

If this problem is real, either an ipc_rcu_getref() before the
msg_unlock() before the schedule() and an ipc_rcu_putref() after
the rcu_read_lock() following the schedule(), both in sys_msgrcv()
on the one hand...  Or remap the msqid after the rcu_read_lock()
following the schedule on the other.

						Thanx, Paul