Re: ipc/msg.c "cleanup" breaks fakeroot on Alpha

Linus Torvalds wrote:

[ Removed the kernel mailing list ]
[kernel mailing list added back]

As far as I can tell, people hold one or the other, but not both, and happily do strange things to "r_msg". The code seems to _know_ that it is racy, since in addition to the volatile, it does things like:

               msr->r_msg = NULL;
               wake_up_process(msr->r_tsk);
               smp_mb();
               msr->r_msg = ERR_PTR(res);

and that memory barrier again doesn't really seem to make a whole lot of sense.

msr is a msg_receiver structure. The structure is stored on the stack of msr->r_tsk. The smp_mb() guarantees that the wake_up_process is complete before ERR_PTR(res) is stored into msr->r_msg.

But I don't know. It clearly _tries_ to do some smart locking, I just don't see what the rules are.
The codes tries to to a lockless receive:
- the mutex is only required to create/destroy queues.
- normal queue operations are protected by msg_lock(msqid), which is a spinlock. One spinlock for each queue. - if a receiving thread doesn't find a message, then it adds a msg_receiver structure into msq->q_receivers. This linked list is stored in the message queue structure and protected by msg_lock(msqid). - if a sending thread finds a msg_receiver structure, then it removes the structure from the msq->q_receivers linked list, places the message into msr->r_msg and wakes up the receiver. All operations happen under msg_lock(msqid) - the receiver notices that there is a message in it's msr->r_msg structure and copies it to user space, without acquiring msg_lock(msqid).

ipc/sem.c uses the same idea, I added a longer block with documentation (around line 150 in ipc/sem.c)

I'm only aware of one tricky race:
- the sender calls wake_up_process().
- as soon as the receiver finds something in r_msg, it can return to user space. user space can call exit(3). do_exit destroys the task structure.
- wake_up_process will cause an oops if it's called after do_exit().
This race happened on s390. The solution is this block:

               msr->r_msg = NULL;
               wake_up_process(msr->r_tsk);
               smp_mb();
               msr->r_msg = ERR_PTR(res);

Initially, r_msg is ERR_PTR(-EAGAIN). The sender first sets it to NULL ("message pending"), then calls wake_up_process(), then a memory barrier, then the final value.

Back to the bug report:
"volatile" shouln't be necessary. The critical part is this loop:

               msg = (struct msg_msg*)msr_d.r_msg;
               while (msg == NULL) {
                       cpu_relax();
                       msg = (struct msg_msg *)msr_d.r_msg;
               }
And cpu_relax is a barrier().
On i386, removing the "volatile" has no effect, the .o remains identical.
Falk, could you compare the .o files with/without volatile? Are there any differences?

The oops was caused by try_to_wake_up, called by expunge_all.
I.e.:
- either the msq->q_receivers linked list got corrupted
- or the target thread was destroyed before wake_up_process completed.
Theoretically, both things are impossible:
- msq->q_receivers is protected by msq_lock()
- the target thread task_struct is guaranteed to remain in scope due to the "msg == NULL" loop.

I'll try to reproduce the oops on i386 - but I don't see a bug right now.

--
   Manfred