Re: qstor driver -> irq 193: nobody cared

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 23:52 +0300, Sergey Vlasov wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 02:22:07PM -0600, Alberto Alonso wrote:

> > > Did you try this option?  It may decrease performance, but in some cases
> > > IRQ routing is so screwed that only irqpoll helps.
> >
> > I have now switched to using that option. Will kick in after I reboot.
>
> Actually, it might be better to wait with this - it is the last resort
> option, if there is nothing else to try.

I'll wait then. This is a file server with 6 active HD controllers and
14 drives. For what I can figure out reading LKML irqpoll would really
have a bad effect.

> > 0000:00:0f.2 USB Controller: ServerWorks OSB4/CSB5 OHCI USB Controller (rev 04) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
> >         Subsystem: ServerWorks OSB4/CSB5 OHCI USB Controller
> >         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10
> >         Memory at fe9fe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
>
> Can you try with ohci-hcd loaded (and without irqpoll)?  USB
> controllers might cause such problems, because BIOSen often do weird
> things with them for legacy emulation; however, loading a proper
> driver should make BIOS stop messing with the hardware behind the back
> of the OS.
>
> After loading ohci-hcd look which IRQ does the USB controller use - if
> it is the same IRQ as the qstor card, you should keep ohci-hcd loaded
> to avoid problems.  (If it is on some other IRQ, loading ohci-hcd
> might still help - the code for enabling the PCI device calls ACPI
> BIOS, which might change interrupt routing setup in the chipset.)

I have now compiled and enabled the ohci-hcd module. It ended up
in IRQ10

> Also look for something like "USB Keyboard Support" and maybe "USB
> Mouse Support" in BIOS setup - some BIOS versions have severe problems
> with this emulation, so it may be better to disable it unless you
> really need it.
>
> Disabling USB in the BIOS setup if you really don't need might be
> another option.
>
> > 0000:01:05.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1010 Ultra3 SCSI Adapter (rev 01)
> >         Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 1040
> >         Flags: medium devsel
> >         I/O ports at 1000 [disabled] [size=256]
> >         Memory at <ignored> (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
> >         Memory at <ignored> (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
> >         Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
> >
> > 0000:01:05.1 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1010 Ultra3 SCSI Adapter (rev 01)
> >         Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 1040
> >         Flags: medium devsel
> >         I/O ports at 1400 [disabled] [size=256]
> >         Memory at <ignored> (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
> >         Memory at <ignored> (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
> >         Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
>
> These devices seem to be disabled, but if loading ohci-hcd does not
> help, you can try to load the sym53c8xx driver and look whether it
> ends up on the same IRQ as qstor.

I will go in tonight and disable all USB and symbios SCSI controllers
on the MB via the BIOS. I don't use SCSI disks on that server anymore,
and I can get by without the USB ports.

The really bad thing is that I can't reproduce it on purpose. Some times
I've gone for 6 weeks without any problems. This morning got really bad,
but it hasn't happened again since.

Thanks for all your help,

Alberto

--
Alberto Alonso                        Global Gate Systems LLC.
(512) 351-7233                        http://www.ggsys.net