Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM APIC/ACPI Bug (patched)

Andi Kleen wrote:
Well that's the problem.  The issue only existed in the nForce2
reference BIOS (and maybe early in nForce3) but we still occasionally

Definitely some NF3 too, i've seen it on 64bit boxes.

see shipping customer BIOSes to this day that have this same bug for
nForce5 (like M2NPV referenced in this thread).

Probably what ASUS is doing in the M2NPV BIOS is copying the ACPI tables
from an earlier nForce2 product.

But the timer override is correct or still broken?

Probably what needs to happen is to make the HPET check more robust and
only return 1 if HPET is present and enabled.

I think the problem is that those Asus boards also don't have a HPET
table. So even though NF5 has HPET the kernel doesn't know about it
and the heuristic "if HPET then NF5 and timer override ok" breaks.

I still suspect doing a "if (PCI ID from NF2 or NF3) ignore timer override" is probably the best solution right now. But I don't have a full
list of PCI-IDs for NF2/NF3. Do you have one?

Ok that might still break the NF4. I assume it never needs any
timer overrides so it might be safe to include it in the PCI-IDs
too.

Or do you have a better proposal?

-Andi
Anyway i chatted around the globus and someone also mentioned that my IRQs for sound and several others are very high. I'm not sure if this is a board issue or a kernel issue. But since the sound chip on board (hda intel) is having problems too I guess it's a kernel related thing. I wonder if this will be fixed in newer versions.