Re: Git training wheels for the pimple faced maintainer

 > Other git maintainers may have other hints about how they work. Anybody?

I use StGIT (http://www.procode.org/stgit/) to have sort of a hybrid
git/quilt workflow.  My infiniband.git tree has the following main
branches (I also keep other topic branches around):

  for-2.6.19
  for-2.6.20
  for-linus
  for-mm
  master

I use master to track Linus's tree.  for-2.6.19 and for-2.6.20 are
StGIT branches that have patches queued up for 2.6.19 and 2.6.20
(duh).  The advantages of StGIT are:

  - I can do "stg pull" to do the equivalent of "git rebase" in a
    slightly cleaner way.
  - If I queue a patch and then someone later says "oops, that patch
    needs this fix," I can go back and revise the patch easily.  This
    means I avoid cluttering the main kernel history with "change X"
    followed by "fix for change X" followed by "update change X"
  - StGIT works within git, so when it is time to send the changes to
    Linus, I can just do "git merge blah for-linus for-2.6.19" and
    then ask Linus to pull the for-linus branch.

 - R.