Re: Can context switches be faster?

Andreas Mohr wrote:
OK, so since we've now amply worked out in this thread that TLB/cache flushing
is a real problem for context switching management, would it be possible to
smartly reorder processes on the runqueue (probably works best with many active
processes with the same/similar priority on the runqueue!) to minimize
TLB flushing needs due to less mm context differences of adjacently scheduled
processes?
(i.e. don't immediately switch from user process 1 to user process 2 and
back to 1 again, but always try to sort some kernel threads in between
to avoid excessive TLB flushing)

It does. The kernel will (slightly) prefer to switch between two threads sharing an address space over switching to a different address space. (Hm, at least it used to, but I can't see where that happens now.)